Join us: Writer and editor positions available at Hippocampus

typewriter with page that says once upon a time

We're looking for writers and editors!

Hippocampus Magazine is growing its (volunteer) staff. If you love creative nonfiction and have some time to devote to this new, online literary magazine, consider joining our team.

We can’t pay you. But, we will shower you with much affection and appreciation, something even the guys and gals who make the big bucks don’t often get from corporate America. In other words, if you are a writer and/or editor looking for a pet project to help hone your own skills, working with a literary magazine may be a perfect fit! Reading/editing other people’s writing not only is an exciting way to find and work with fresh, new talent, but also helps improve your own. And, if you are applying for one of our writer roles, having a regular column serves as an additional writing credit, provides a new outlet to tap your creativity (maybe something different than you normally write), and, most importantly, keeps you in the writing habit.

The following opportunities are available (more detailed descriptions below):

• Reviews Editor
  • Articles Editor
  • Copy Editor (2)
  • Contributing Writer (2)– Craft Articles
  • Contributing Writer (2)– The Writing Life
  • Reviewer (2)

To apply, send three writing samples and a cover letter explaining why you are a good fit for the position to which you are applying—and for Hippocampus Magazine—to info@hippocampusmagazine.com. Writing samples can be attached or included as links if you would like point to already-published work.

Application deadline is Friday, August 5, 2011.

Positions will be offered by August 15, and will start immediately; the first deadlines will be for the October 2011 issue.

Reviews Editor
Do you read Publishers Weekly, Publishers Lunch and other publications to keep your finger on the pulse of what is new in the publishing world? We’re looking for a not-afraid-to-network superstar bookworm to serve as reviews editor. You’ll be charged with working with our existing contacts and making new connections with publicists and authors to secure review copies of new works of creative nonfiction. The requirement is one review per month, which you can write yourself or assign to one of our reviewers. The best part about this position? It pays in complimentary copies of books!

Articles Editor
Calling all former high school newspaper editors-in-chief! If building an editorial calendar is your thing and brainstorming sessions are another one of your things, then you may be our new articles editor. In this position you will develop, assign and edit stories for our two article departments, The Craft of Creative Nonfiction and The Writing Life. You will collaborate with our team of contributing writers as well as consider pitches from potential contributors–and even scout talent for future articles. Additionally, you can serve as a contributing writer to either section. Time commitment: two articles per month, one in each section.

Copy Editor
Is Grammar Girl your hero? Are you editing this blog post as we speak? If so, consider joining the Hippocampus Magazine copy editor staff. You will be responsible for copy editing a selection of creative pieces and articles for each issue. Time commitment: three to four stories per issue. Must have Microsoft Word compatible software, and a version that allows you to track changes.

Contributing Writer – Craft Articles
Would rather read a creative nonfiction textbook than a memoir? (At least sometimes?) Does the phrase ‘kill your darlings’ mean something to you? Do you enjoy teaching? As a contributing writer specializing in craft articles, you’ll work with the section editor to develop articles that explore the craft of creative nonfiction. Write what you know, or delve into topics that you, too, want to learn. Through this role, you can help and inspire other aspiring—and even veteran—writers. Six articles per year is the commitment, but we’ll welcome more.

Contributing Writer – The Writing Life
We are looking for a few fun, imaginative writers who constantly observe the world around them—and often ponder what it really means to be a writer in this day and age. As a contributing writer for The Writing Life section you will work with our section editor to develop articles that take readers beyond the keyboard or the page and into the everyday (or, rather, not so everyday!) life of the writer. From life-work balance and personal relationships to motivation and handling rejection, there’s a world of topics to uncover and share. Six articles per year is the commitment, but we’ll welcome more.

Reviewer
We’re looking for a few solid book critics to join our reviews team. If book reviews that read like plot summaries are your pet peeve, then we have something in common. You will receive review assignments from our reviews editor, or can even pitch your own as you seek out new titles. Time commitment: varies based on availability of review copies. In addition to seeing your name “in print”, you’ll also score some free books.

If you have any questions about these positions, shoot us an email or ask in the comments below. We look forward to learning more about you! Please share this post with a friend if you think they are a good fit.

1 comment for “Join us: Writer and editor positions available at Hippocampus

Share a Comment