Hippocampus Magazine is giving away more than $1,250 in cash and prizes this November in our annual creative writing contest, the Remember in November Contest for Creative Nonfiction.
- Memoir excerpts and personal essays up to 4,000 words accepted — no theme.
- Deadline: August 15, 2019
- $12 entry fee
- $1,000 grand prize (1) + free registration to HippoCamp 2020
- $250 runner-up (1)
- $50 reader’s choice winner
- Guest judge TBA
(full details below)
FULL CONTEST DEADLINE AND RULES
- Enter between May 15 – Aug. 15, 2019
- Up to 4,000 words, previously unpublished (no theme)
- A$12 entry fee (supports prizes and future contributor fund)
- Entries must be submitted through Submittable in the 2019 Remember in November Contest for Creative Nonfiction category, and it must meet Hippocampus’ general submission guidelines.
- All stories are considered for regular publication as well during this process.
- Participants may enter the contest as many times as they wish. Also, participants can win more than one prize as we have a blind reading process.
- Hippocampus staff members and their current students are not eligible to enter.
- The Hippocampus reader panel and founding editor will select five to eight finalists from all submissions.
- We begin reviewing contest submissions after deadline.
- We will notify everyone of the status of their submission by the end of October.
- Guest judge will select the winner from these finalists
- Winner and all top finalist stories are published in the November 2019 issue.
- Winning and finalist stories will be published in the November 2019 issue of Hippocampus Magazine.
- All entries will automatically be considered for publication in other forthcoming issues; last year, we published more than a dozen stories that made our contest short list!
- Prizes are in USD. Winners must provide mailing address or PayPal email address to receive prize. (A check or PayPal transfer are the only two methods of prize delivery.) Prizes will be awarded by Feb. 1, 2020.
- The Reader’s Choice Award winners will be announced in the December 2019 issue.
Good luck to all!