This year at Hippocampus Magazine we published more than 50 pieces of creative nonfiction from emerging and established writers, and we are extremely proud of the brave voices we get to share with our readers in each issue. And every year, as award nomination deadlines loom, we’re faced with an incredible challenge.
We are delighted to announce our six Pushcart Prize nominations and two Sundress Publications Best of the Net nominations; these stories represent our motto “Memorable Creative Nonfiction” well.
Our Pushcart Nominees:
The Pushcart Prize accepts six nominations from each magazine from stories published (or scheduled to be published) in the current calendar year. We selected three flash pieces and three essays:
- Submerged by Elaine van der Geld (January/February 2020)
- Blue As In by Matthew Morris (March/April 2020)
- Lost by Betsy Johnson (March/April 2020)
- Me Llamo Theresa by Theresa Okokon (July/August 2020)
- Dead Weight by Claire O’Brien (November 2020)
- The New Pretty by Nicole Graev Lipson (November 2020)
Our Best of the Net Nominees:
The Best of the Net Nominees, submitted in September, are for stories published between July 1, 2019, and June 30, 2020. Journals are allowed two submissions in each category; since we publish exclusively nonfiction, we’re able to submit two. We selected one piece from our flash submissions and one piece from our essay/memoir submissions:
- “El Preterito” by Zach Sheneman (January/February 2020)
- “The Jewel Thief” by Hannah Austin (July/August 2019)
Part II of our Year-End Review will continue to highlight memorable pieces from 2020; we asked our volunteer editorial team to reflect on the past year and share a story that stuck with them — and why. Stay tuned.