We’re so honored to have been featured in magazines, papers, and podcasts over the years. Here, we’d like to share some of these stories, mentions and more. Special thanks to these media outlets and blogs for covering Hippocampus Magazine.
If you are interested in covering Hippocampus or interviewing one of our staff members or want to get in touch with any previous contributors, please visit our For the Media and Publicists page.
(Note that some online news sources will occasionally remove or archive a story after a certain amount of time, so some of these stories may not have links or they may go to a dead line; we try to keep up with this page to look for those, but feel free to let us know if a link here no longer works.)
- Brevity Podcast (11.16): Episode 6: Kristen Arnett and HippoCamp
- Lancaster Newspapers: Award-Winning Author Tobias Wolff Will Speak at in Lancaster at HippoCamp: A Conference for Creative Nonfiction Writers
- The Creative Nonfiction Podcast: Episode 65-How to Start Your Own Conference with HippoCamp Founder Donna Talarico
- Brevity podcast (8.31): Episode 6: Donna Talarico-Beerman
- Brevity blog (8.23), “An Inside Look at HippoCamp: A Conference for Creative Nonfiction Writers”
- The Writer (July issue), “Reading, Writing, and Romance” (couples who run lit mags) by Melissa Hart (print only)
- Update! In Feb. 2018, The Writer made this available online, in honor of the month of love wethinks.
- WITF Arts Desk segment for CNF Simulcast, with Cary Burkett (host) and joined by Stephanie Andersen (10.20)
- LNP, “Writing Inspiration from HippoCamp 2016” (Erin Negley, a social media recap)
- LNP, “Writers Get Creative with Their Nonfiction” (Jon Rutter, 8.5)
- Radio SmartTalk (WITF) with Scott LaMar (8.5)
- Keystone Edge, “Nonfiction Writers: Head to Lancaster for HippoCamp” (7.18)
- Conference Corner, Writer’s Digest, July 2016
- ArtScene with Erika Funke, May 23, 2016 (WVIA-FM)
- “Long-term Memories: Essays and Nonfiction are Brain Food of Online Lit Mag” (The Writer, Feb. 2016 issue – print only)
- The Unslanted Truth: a Conversation With Four Editors of Today’s Premier Creative Nonfiction Literary Magazines – The Review Review (2014)
- “I Love Reading Essays of Our Contributors and Many Have Stuck With Me: Donna Talarico on Her Creative Nonfiction Magazine” – The Review Review (late 2014)
- “In the Spotlight: Donna Talarico Embraces the Writing Life” (LNP, Aug. 9, 2015)
- “Writers Will Jump On the Same Page at Conference Here” (LNP, Aug. 2, 2015)
- On Writing: Donna Talarico of Hippocampus Magazine (Author Jim Breslin’s blog; July 2015)
- Wilkes Alum Starts Creative Writing Conference (Times Leader, July 31, 2015; Gene Axton)
- Arts Scene with Erika Funke (WVIA-FM, July 2015)
- Conference Organizer Interview: Donna Talarico on HippoCamp: A Conference for Creative Nonfiction Writers- Lisa Romeo Writes (June 29, 2015)
- Run With It: Organizing a Writing Conference 101 – The Writer Magazine (May 26, 2015)
- “Lee Gutkind, ‘Godfather’ of Creative Nonfiction, Coming for Conference” – (LNP Bookends, March 2015)
- Bookends column mention (LNP, March 2015)
- We loved talking with Alicia Cole of The Review Review for “The Slanted Truth: A Conversation with Four Editors of Today’s Premier Creative Nonfiction Literary Magazines.” Also interviewed: Dinty Moore of Brevity, Hattie Fletcher of Creative Nonfiction, and Sarah Wells of Riverteeth Journal.
- Tyler Barton of The Triangle, a literary organization based in Lancaster, Pa. interviewed Donna Talarico for its website’s interview series. (9/16/2014)
- A Rumpus interview with M.E. Thomas (by Cynthia-Marie Marmo O’Brien) references an earlier Hippocampus interview by Lori M. Myers with the author of Confessions of a Sociopath. (9/23/2014)
- The Review Review’s interview the first week of August featured us! Thanks to Courtney Leigh for a fun Q&A! Donna Talarico, founder and publisher, shares her thoughts on Hippocampus’ mission, what makes a good essay and microbrews!
- The Brevity Blog’s Allison K. Williams shared in a July 21 2014 post the news about the 2014 Remember in November Contest for Creative Nonfiction. We’re so appreciative of this post.
- The Great Writers Steal blog deconstructs Pamela Ramos Langley’s “Stitching the Womb,” from the January issue, to tell other writers what they can steal from this beautiful piece, especially when it comes to economy of words.
- Lancaster Newspapers’ book editor, Jo-Ann Green, interviewed Donna Talarico and local librarians for story on life-story writing. The article, “Online magazine, library highlight life-story writing, offer guidance” was featured in print and online edition.
- Wilkes University’s Revise This – coverage in creative writing program newsletter
- Woodstove House – “Hippocampus Magazine: Ready for the Real World”
- Short review on Words Move Worlds, a personal writing blog
2012 – General
- Hippocampus Magazine is referenced in the Complete Idiot’s Guide to Writing Nonfiction (Penguin Random House, 2012). The author, Christina Boufis, spends a full paragraph in the “Sending Your Work” section on Hippocampus, citing the magazine as an option for online submissions.
- Wilkes Write Life blog – interview with Lori A. May
- Poets & Writers –– coverage of launch in Literary MagNet section of print (p. 19) and online edition.
- The Elizabethtown Advocate — coverage of The Remember in November Contest for Creative Nonfiction judge announcement
- Independent NEPA, “Entertain, Education, Engage” –launch coverage in regional quarterly
- Women of Mystery — launch and contest coverage from women’s writing blog
- The Weekender — subheadline within ‘This Just In” section
- Lancaster Sunday News and LancasterOnline.com — subheadline in Book Ends section
- The Etownian — feature article with interview in Elizabethtown College student-run newspaper
- First Person — interview on the Amye Archer’s writing blog