Going along with our mission of educating and informing those interested in reading and writing creative nonfiction, we’ve compiled a list of general and creative nonfiction lit mag resources, books about writing creative nonfiction, as well as other publications, podcasts, and articles dedicated to creative nonfiction.
If you have a suggestion for this page, by all means, let us know. We’ll check it out and, if we feel it fits, we’ll add it here.
Other Creative Nonfiction-focused Literary Magazines
Blogs, Websites & Other Online Pubs Dedicated Mostly to Creative Nonfiction
- Assay: A Journal of Creative Nonfiction Studies
- The Brevity Blog – new content each day including industry news, guest posts from a variety of writers, reviews and some humor
(There are countless writing-related blogs and websites, too exhausting to list here, so we’ve hand-picked a few with a CNF bent.)
Creative Nonfiction-Related Podcasts
We also included a few (true) storytelling ones to this list!
Literary Magazine Market (and Other) Listings
These websites give you access to literary magazine listings and call for submissions.We also included a classic book (because, in a day of information overload, we feel sitting down with a good ‘ol reference book is refreshing and inspiring.)
- Duotrope (requires membership, but incredibly valuable and worth it!)
- Poets & Writers
- Submishmash Newsletter (from Submittable)
- Writers Market (2018 edition)
Books About Writing Creative Nonfiction
Plus a few non-genre-specific ones we love, as well as some on submitting. This is by no means an exhaustive list; just a few favorites that came to mind.
- The Art of Memoir by Mary Karr
- The Art of the Personal Essay by Phillip Lopate
- Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life by Anne Lamott
- Crafting the Personal Essay: A Guide for Writing and Publishing Creative Nonfiction by Dinty W. Moore
- Get Published in Literary Magazines: The Indispensable Guide to Preparing, Submitting and Writing Better by Allison K Williams
- Handling the Truth: On the Writing of Memoir by Beth Kephart
- On Writing by Stephen King
- On Writing Well: The Classic Guide to Writing Nonfiction by William Zinsser
- The Story Cure: A Book Doctor’s Guide to Finishing Your Novel or Memoir by Dinty W. Moore
- Tell It Slant (3rd Edition) by Brenda Miller and Suzanne Paola
- Writing Hard Stories: Celebrated Memoirists Who Shaped Art from Trauma by Melanie Brooks
- You Can’t Make This Stuff Up by Lee Gutkind
- Zen in the Art of Writing by Ray Bradbury
(note: the links in this sections are affiliate links.)
Select Blog Posts & Articles About Writing Creative Nonfiction and Submitting Work Literary Magazines
There are so many good articles out there; we selected a few to get your started!
- A Reading List for Writing Stronger Creative Nonfiction (DIY MFA,Kayla Dean, June 2017)